Jul 22, 2017

The most wonderful day.

It is almost the end of Saturday but today I had a wonderful day. Wonderful on many fronts even though there were moments where the shit threatened to fall like rain.

Today, I broke out of my usual routine and did something I had wanted to do for a long time, and not only did I break out of routine but I had company when I did it.

There’s a lot to be said for days spent in good company and today I spent it in the company of China Girl. I think of China Girl as an appropriate reference because of the movie Oz the Great and Powerful.

Oz the Great and Powerful is one of those underrated movies Disney has put out in the last few years where it was supposed to be a blockbuster but because it wasn’t and even though it still made some money people weren’t happy because it didn’t make as much money as it could have.

There is one character in the movie that tugged at my heart strings and that was China Girl and if you asked me why I find I wouldn’t be able to tell you but I loved the character so much I actually thought about getting one of the figurines of the character which is decidedly the most anti-machismo thing a bachelor in his fifties might do but there are soft parts of me too and this really did hit that spot.

And the thing of it is that there is this broken thing that Oz happens upon and he fixes it and it is this delicate treasure and honestly how many times have you had something that was special to your and that broke and you would have wanted to be able to fix it because you had some weird emotional attachment to it?

So, getting back to things, I spent the day with someone who I think of now as China Girl because in some way she is broken because of what has been taken from her. It’s really a horrible thing and I find myself in a strange space because on the one hand, I am taken by her but on the other there are certain boundaries that cannot be crossed if only because of my own ethical parameters.

Then I spend a day and it is wonderful and glorious and I would never make any presuppositions and intrude on someone’s personal space but I am left wondering if any connection exists or if it is the stuff of fantasy.

I’ve never been good at these things.

Still maybe I can solace myself in that I might’ve done a good thing for someone else. Maybe the takeaway is that even if I am only left confused. You see something or someone broken that you care about and you want to do something to help.

Maybe I can say I accomplished that and live in the transient glory of the moment because the moment is all we really have anyway.

No comments: